Summer 2017 at CTW
Our 2017 Summer Catalog–we have programs for ages 3-18!
Registration is OPEN!
Click here for the online registration form!
Early Bird discounts close 8 weeks before the program starts. Sibling discounts do not expire.
For Ages 3-4
EARLY STAGES: For Ages 3-4
CTW staff Trina Friedberg and Aimee Reid will continue to offer
Early Stages for ages 3-4 during the summertime.
Early Stages for ages 3-4 is a drop-in, donation only program at CTW. Teachers will use story, props, song, and movement to guide our youngest theatre kids’ natural tendency to play into an understanding of theatrical performance.
This is an informal, low-commitment program–there is no registration, no established fee, and there is no performance connected to the class. Teachers create a new lesson with a new topic every week. Guardians are encouraged to stay and engage with their child as they explore how to use their bodies, voices, and imaginations to tell stories and create characters.
SUMMER 2017 dates and times
(Summer dates: June 1-August 17, 2017)
Saturdays from 10:30 am-11:15 am
(No Early Stages on July 1, 2017)
(No Early Stages on August 5, 2017)
All Early Stages occur at the CTW building in the Collingwood Arts Center
2413 Collingwood Blvd
Toledo, OH 43620
Questions? Email Trina Friedberg at firstname.lastname@example.org
Some FAQs about CTW and our summer programs
Answers to some inquiries we often get from parents when considering signing their children up!
Tell me about your staff
You can read about our staff on our Our Teachers page!
A few notable points:
-All of our Camp Directors have at least an undergraduate degree in Theatre and/or Education.
-All of our Camp Directors and Assistant Teachers have been BCI/FBI fingerprinted.
-There is always at least one staffer in the building who is First Aid/CPR certified (which includes epipen administration).
Tell me about a typical day for the 5-6 year old camp
The 5-6 year old camp is a lot like what their preschool/school experiences have been! Each day includes:
-songs and dance
-snack time (provided by CTW) around 10:00 am
-story and drama activities
-Lunch time at 12:00 pm
Dropoff is between 8:30 am and 9:00 am
Pick up is 12:30 pm
Before-care is available from 7:30 am-8:30 am
After-care is not available
Tell me about a typical day for the 7-9 and 10-14 year old camps
A typical day at our 7-9 and 10-14 year old camps include:
-Improvisation instruction and games
-Lots of theatre games!
-Technical Theatre and Design
-Auditioning for a short play*
-Rehearsing for a short play**
-Snack around 10:30 am (CTW provides)
-Lunch around 12 or 12:30 pm (must bring lunch from home)
-An informal sharing of their short play on Friday at 3:30 pm
*Please note: we do not expect anyone to prepare anything in advance. This camp is designed to include students who are completely new to theatre. We will provide audition materials and instruction and THEN they will audition. Nothing needs to be memorized; it’s a five day camp and we want them to relax and have fun!
**Nope, we don’t expect anyone to memorize lines. Normally, we require it, but this is a five day summer camp–relax and have fun!
Tell me about some of your rules/policies for summer camps
What We Expect of All Students
- Please wear clothes that are appropriate for theatre activities. They should be comfortable play clothes–please don’t send your child in outfits that must be kept pristine.
- All students must wear close-toed shoes with at least a strap around the heel (no clogs, for example), and we strongly advise against wearing anything with a high heel.
- Students are expected to use respectful language to each other and the staff.
- Students are expected to treat our facility with respect.
- Students are not allowed to leave the CTW building without their adult.
What We Expect of The Students’ Guardians
- Sign your student in and out, noting what time your dropped off and picked up
- Drop off your student between 8:30 and 9:00 am, pick up between 3:00-3:30 pm
- If you need before- or after-care, arrange for it no later than one week before the camp begins, as a courtesy to our staff’s preparations. (Before care is 7:30-8:30 am, after-care is 3:30-5:00 pm)
- Send a packed lunch with your child
- Inform the office if an adult who is not the guardian of the child is picking them up.
What You Can Expect From Us (Our Safety Policies)
- Our doors are locked after 9:15 am and will remain locked until around 3:00 pm. We open the doors briefly for the 5-6 year old pickup at 12:30 pm.
- We require sign in/out, and notification of who is picking up the child (if not the guardian).
- Our staff are BCI/FBI fingerprinted, and at least one staffer with First Aid/CPR Training will be on-site.
- No staffers are alone with a child. Most of the program occurs in our theatre: an open space with all students in full view.
- Bathroom breaks for ages 5-6 and 7-9 are supervised; a staffer waits outside the bathroom. Students 10-14 and 14-18 use the bathroom on their own.
What You Can Expect From Us (Our Disciplinary Policies)
- Our discipline policy is re-direction, problem-solving, and removal from the situation. When there is a behavioral issue, staff will attempt to re-direct the behavior, assist the students in solving the problem, and (when necessary) removing the students from the situation to calm down and reconsider their actions.
- If these fail, students will be sent to Executive Artistic Director Aimee Reid for discussion and quiet time before returning to camp. A report will be sent to the guardian if this occurs, and a request for assistance in ensuring improved behavior.
- If a student’s behavior results in injury to another student, it may be cause for immediate removal from camp.